Is Uninsured Motorist Coverage Required in North Carolina?

Woman stressed and injured after a car accident

There’s no getting around it – car insurance is simply one of those things in life that is essential but oh-so frustrating to deal with. 

In fact, the cost and complexity that tends to come with automobile insurance often deter some drivers from getting ANY insurance coverage whatsoever. 

According to the Insurance Information Institute, 12.6% of U.S. drivers – and 7.4% of North Carolina drivers – are uninsured. 

And this percentage becomes even greater in high-population towns like Wilmington, NC. 

What is Uninsured Motorist Coverage? 

Uninsured Motorist Coverage (UM) is insurance that provides protection for you, your passengers, and your vehicle if injured or damaged in a car accident caused by an uninsured driver.

This protection not only covers medical bills for everyone in your car, but it also covers any necessary vehicle repairs. 

Is Uninsured Motorist Coverage Really Necessary in NC?


Uninsured Motorist coverage is mandatory in North Carolina. 

Fortunately, NC-required car insurance policies (with the basic bodily injury and property liability measures) MUST also include UM protections.

Oftentimes, these minimum liability insurance policies include some Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UIM), as well. 

But what about Underinsured Motorist Coverage? Is that required, too?

Yes…at least for some insurance policies.

North Carolina law dictates that car insurance policies with limits greater than the state’s minimum NC insurance standards must include BOTH Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Coverage.

Even if the at-fault party has the lowest tier of liability insurance, their policy may not quite cover the entirety of your medical bills or damages incurred in an accident.

When this happens, your UIM policy should pay for expenses left uncovered by the underinsured driver’s insurance. 

Plus, UIM coverage is relatively inexpensive when compared to other levels of insurance.

How to tell if you have UM and UIM insurance? 

Uncertain whether you have adequate auto insurance coverage?

The first step – touch base with your insurance agent. 

Have more questions about Uninsured or Underinsured Motorist Coverage? Contact Robert Armstrong’s office.

If you’ve been involved in a vehicle accident, it’s essential for you to consult with an experienced attorney who can help you with the complexities of insurance and other aspects of your case.

Get in touch with Robert Armstrong’s office today!